Thursday, June 27, 2013

In a hushed whisper, "Can we get peaches... too?"--Alaina

As it turns out I was not the last one awake last night at 4:15AM when I posted a blog and went to sleep.  All three boys and Alaina stayed up to watch Warm Bodies in its entirety.  This morning my parents went to a 9:30AM Weight Watchers meeting (where both lost weight since last week) while everyone else in the house slept.  And I do mean everyone.


Henrietta, Yago, and I were the first ones of the under 60-years-old set to stir.  I'm not sure who was first one technically awake but we all had our eyes open before 10:00.  Unfortunately with the rest still sleeping, and our not really wanting to disturb anyone, we stayed separately and quietly in bed until after 11:00.  By noon, we were ready to wake up the last of the sleepers and start the day.

Our first stop was the Hometown Buffet.  It's hard for me to tell what the kids will and won't eat.  This group, for example ALL made themselves tacos.  I'm not sure if it's because it was a taco bar and they all like to assemble their own food, or if it is because they like Mexican food... time will tell I suppose.  Also... all three boys got multiple (and by that I mean more than three) desserts that they were unable to finish.  Clearly buffet novices.   



Today's agenda was intentionally "light".  A little shopping, a horse barn visit, and a movie at home.  That was the plan.  And yet... wow... it was a full day.  Another day of blogging past midnight for me.  After leaving Hometown Buffet we cruised on over to Costco to have the kids select breakfast, pop, and snack-foods to have around the house. My dad pointed out a couple of times how we probably saved a bunch of money by food shopping after eating.  I tend to agree with him.  Alaina and Henrietta seemed to get it.  At one point I asked them if they wanted to grab any fruit.  No response.  So I prompted further, "there are grapes, strawberries, apples, kiwi..."  Alaina said, "yeah, maybe kiwi?"  So off they went to get some kiwi while I moved the cart forward a few feet.  I turned to the boys, "why don't you look on that back wall and get some pizza rolls or something snacking from the frozen area."  A couple of shrugs and a passive, "I'm not hungry."

It wasn't until the girls caught up to the boys and I sent them all down the cereal aisle together that we finally started getting some things in the cart.  After Costco, everyone walked down to the Walmart (in the same parking lot) to get some swimsuits, cooler clothing, and sandals.  Walmart was definitely a store everyone felt more comfortable in.  By the time I moved the car, everyone had spread out into separate sections of the store and were deep into price-checking and fitting room trips.


By the time we finished up at Walmart the sun beat down a scorching 93-degrees.  Yago and Henry were still looking for sandals and Alaina needed a swimsuit that didn't hang down to her knees in the crotch area.  A quick stop into Jamba Juice where all three boys ordered mango-a-go-go, Alaina got peach perfection and Henrietta ordered a strawberries wild and then we headed back to the house.

My dad, who was working on about four hours of sleep, my mom, Justin, and Henrietta stayed there while the remaining five of us (one full carload) headed back out to Target and Payless.  I was the driver.  And our whole shopping list was two pairs of sandals and a swimsuit.  Really nothing on MY list at all.  And yet, somehow, my cart ended up looking like this:


Hee hee, I am a horrible impulse shopper.  Luckily the kids seem to be better at window shopping.  As great as they looked on Henry, he had the restraint not to pick up the awesome sunglasses he tried on here:


We ended up back at the house just before 6:00PM.  To stick to our schedule we should have been off to see Doni and her horse, Paige, about five minute prior to that.  Bah!  We're on vacation.  Here's to not sticking to schedules:


Okay, okay, before anyone calls CPS on me here, this photo was taken with sparkling peach soda, I promise.  Coming in again from the heat, a couple of the guys went straight to the fridge.  They asked about the Greek Yogurt and then explained that they wanted something cold to drink.  I said, "help yourself to anything in the fridge."  With a wicked smile Henry picked up a bottle that looked like wine.  I said, "sure, have at it."  Eyes bulged.  Then I had them read the label.  Still cautious I had Marilyn read the label too.  "Just like the sparkling apple.  It's fine."  Bottoms up!


Then get back in the car!  We're late!


Doni Jackson, a truly awesome person I met though mutual friends, spent all day at work today only to then head over to her horse's stable to introduce all of us to her thirteen-year-old clydesdale/thoroughbred mix, Paige.  Paige is pictured here below with my mom.


Getting away from the shopping and the city streets seemed to effect the kids a little.  Even before we walked over to Paige, they jumped from the car and climbed up into the trees.


I'm really looking forward to tomorrow's adventure in Downieville.  These are outdoor kids and this hour out at Paige's barn showed me that.

On the car ride in, I learned Henry had some experience riding a horse in Anchorage.  It was a different set up.  The horse was between guide bars and in chains and was walking in a tightly controlled circle, but the actual act of sitting on a horse he had done before.  So when we approached the animal that looked more like a moose than any other animal they had seen before, they were a little off-standish.  Luckily Paige (and Doni) have plenty of experience with kids and adults alike and they both are pretty great and working through tension.

We started with a good brush for Paige.  Henry was the first to jump in and give her a scratchy rub.


He also was the first to saddle up and give her a ride.  Henry, Yago, Justin, Alaina, Marilyn, and I all took turns giving Paige (or rather having Paige give us) a walk through the yard.  We learned how to go forward (no need to kick like in the movies, but a gentle squeeze will get you going), turn right, turn left, and slow to a stop.


Everyone, except Henry, was pretty hesitant about getting on Paige.  It was hard for me to read.  Were they getting bored?  Or were they really feeling some stress over it.  It was clear once they were on the horse though, the smiles came through.  It's an interesting feeling being on a horse for the first time.  You're up high.  And you feel a loss of control with something so muscular beneath you.  And yet, it also just feels right.  The car ride from the barn let me know that it wasn't boredom that they were feeling.  "So cool!" "My back sort of felt sore, the horse's steps went through me." "It was like a dream.  Again.  Day two of doing stuff from dreams."


Big thanks to Doni and Paige for sharing your evening with us.  As we said while trying to convince Henrietta to give her a go, "this really is a once in a lifetime opportunity."

When we left Equine Unlimited, Inc. it was 8:15PM and we were just about ready for our second meal of the day.  My parents and I went back and forth before settling on the decision being the choice between Chick-fil-A and In-N-Out Burger.  We asked they girls their preference but they were non-committal.  When the boys were asked, "chicken sandwich or burgers?"  They all responded with an eager "BURGERS!"


However, with my parents dieting and having eaten at a buffet already today, we decided to get the burgers to go and eat at home.

We also picked up some Cold Stone ice cream.  With a car full of burgers and ice cream that they designed individually (example:  Justin got strawberry and cotton candy icecream and then added chocolate chips, strawberry, gummi bears, and whipped cream) we headed towards the house.  But really... that's melting ice cream being held their patiently in their laps.


And what was that we toasted to earlier about not sticking to schedules on vacation?  Dessert tastes great before dinner.  You should all go out and try it today!

3 comments:

Ay'atang'aq said...

yay! sounds like so much fun! love all the pictures and narratives

Doni1010 said...

Love your commentary! Glad you guys had fun, it was truly no bother. Paige loves the attention (I kinda do to).

Auntie Kiki said...

I LOVE reading about how the kids realize what a treat this all is. I can only imagine how it feels to see it from them firsthand.